Lateral Pharma Pty Ltd Is a privately-owned biotechnology company that commenced operations in May 2015 to repurpose LAT8881, a Phase 2 orally-available compound with extensive toxicology and human safety data, into new high potential indications.
LAT8881 was originally developed for obesity, based on extensive animal model data in mice, rats and pigs. Lateral Pharma has focused on repurposing LAT8881 for treatments of neuropathic pain, osteoarthritis and other chronic painful diseases. Results to date demonstrate:
- LAT8881 has an established excellent safety profile in animals and humans, with no adverse CNS or other side effects commonly seen with established pain drugs
- LAT8881 has a novel mechanism of action distinct from other pain drugs
- LAT8881 has oral efficacy in several animal models of neuropathic and osteoarthiritis pain comparable to existing approved drugs
- LAT8881 is active following local and systemic injection and oral delivery
- Multiple back-up and follow on compounds have been identified with a similar Mode of Action
A Proof of Concept phase 2 human clinical trial using LAT8881 to treat pain caused by post herpetic neuralgia and diabetic neuropathy commenced in March 2019